News

Smoke alarm save lives as tumble dryer starts fire

The sound of a smoke alarm in the hallway going off gave a mother and her two young children precious extra time to get out of their home safely and escape a fire, caused by a faulty tumble dryer, which caused  extensive damage throughout their home early this morning. 

Tumble dryer damage caused by fire Melted controls caused by tumble dryer fire Fire damage caused by tumble dryer fire Fire damage in room caused by faulty tumble dryer

The property, owned by Severn Vale Housing, is being fully-assessed but shows extensive fire and smoke damage in all rooms and the family's personal belongings have been destroyed by the fire. 

It is a stark reminder, says health and safety adviser, Irusha Hewawasamge, that a working smoke alarm can make the vital difference between life and death: "This fire could so easily have had a tragic outcome, and is a reminder to us all to carry out regular checks on smoke detectors in the home. It's important also to keep a check on any product recalls. By registering your appliance on the government's product recall website, you can receive an alert if any manufacturer recalls are in place."

Reducing the risk of electrical fires

Faulty electrical goods can cause fires. If you are concerned about the safety of a product;

  • Stop using it
  • Let the retailer, manufacturer or your local Trading Standards office know
  • Take extra care with second-hand appliances
  • Ensure they have been safety checked

Don’t forget, if there is a fire inside your home – get out, stay out and call 999 – don’t try to tackle the fire yourself.

Check the government's Product Recall Website HERE

Chat Live now!

Web Chat

I'm sorry, there is nobody available for live chat at the moment. For more information about live chat, including our opening hours, please visit www.svhs.org.uk/chat

We have placed cookies on your computer to help make this website better, by using our website you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

Change cookie settings: