Staying safe in the home is the theme for Gas Safety Week, and an opportunity to share vital messages with customers, according to Mike Dunn, Severn Vale's team leader for gas servicing and repairs.
"Our team of qualified engineers is out seeing customers every day carrying out essential repairs and services to boilers. Badly-fitted and poorly-serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. As landlord for some 4,000 properties in Gloucestershire, it's vital that our Gas Safe registered engineers keep a close check on boilers throughout the year."
Follow these few simple checks to keep you and your family safe.
- Allow Severn Vale Housing access to your home to look at your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety-checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. You will be contacted by us to arrange a suitable appointment for you. Failure to allow our gas engineers access to your home means you are in breach of your tenancy agreement.
- We will service any gas appliances we provide. You need to make sure you get your personal gas appliances serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
- Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at www.gassaferegister.co.ukor call 0800 408 5500. All Severn Vale gas engineers are registered.
- Check your engineer’s ID, including their Gas Safe Register ID card. Always ask to see an ID card before you let anyone into your home and make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of their ID card.
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
In an emergency If you are concerned about any gas appliance in your home call the Severn Vale Housing number on 01684 272727 immediately or in an out of hours emergency call 01684 272727 and press option 2.