Staying safe at home

Your property has been designed with fire safety in mind. The walls, certain doors and floors are designed to withstand fire and slow the spread of smoke. We need your help to maintain fire safety in and around our properties particularly our block of flats, so we ask that you:

  • Never prop or wedge open any doors in the communal areas.
  • Doors in communal areas are fitted, to slow the spread of fire but will not do this if they are being held open.
  • Keep the communal areas and walkways free of obstacles such as plants, bikes, pushchairs, furniture etc.
  • In the event of a fire, you and your neighbours may need to get out through the corridors and stairs. The communal areas may be dark or filling with smoke and people may not see obstacles which could cause injury and stop them leaving the building safely.
  • Do not under any circumstances leave mopeds, motorcycles or any other type of machinery with a petrol tank in your flat or the communal area of the building.
  • The keeping of machinery or flammable liquids in the communal areas is forbidden.
  • Report any fly tipping around the perimeter of your property by calling 01684 272727.
  • Rubbish may provide arsonists the opportunity to start a fire.  Early removal of bulk rubbish is essential to prevent danger from fire, so please contact us IMMEDIATELY if you see rubbish in the communal area.

In the event of a fire in your property:

  • Alert everyone in the flat/house and leave closing the door behind you.
  • Where possible alert your neighbours but DO NOT endanger yourself to do so.
  • Once you are out of the building move to a safe place and call 999 clearly letting the operator know the address of the fire and what is on fire if you know.
  • For your own safety you MUST NOT re-enter the building. 

If you cannot exit safely, try to remain calm.

  • Before opening a closed door, use the back of your hand to touch it. If it feels warm; DON'T OPEN IT - the fire could be on the other side
  • If you are unable to use the door because of flames or smoke, close the door and use towels or sheets to block any gaps. This will help stop smoke spreading into the room.
  • Make your way to the window. If the room fills with smoke, crawl along the floor where it's easier to breathe because the smoke will rise to the ceiling.
  • With the door shut, open the window and try to attract the attention of others. If you have a phone or a mobile, dial 999 clearly letting the operator know the address of the fire and what is on fire if you know.

Tips to make your home safe

  • Make a fire action plan so that everyone in your home knows how to escape if there is a fire.
  • All Bromford properties have smoke alarms installed - keep them free from dust and test them once a week.
  • We recommend that all Leaseholders purchase and install smoke alarms to their homes as a matter of safety.
  • Keep exits clear within your home so you can escape if there is a fire.
  • Make sure that everyone in your home can easily locate keys for doors and windows.
  • Take extra care when cooking as over half the fires in the home start in the kitchen.
  • Take extra care when cooking with hot oil.  Deep-fat fryers are controlled by thermostat and are much safer.
  • Never leave lit candles in unoccupied rooms. Make sure candles are in secure holders on a heat resistant surface away from flammable materials.
  • Make sure cigarettes are stubbed out properly, disposed of carefully.
  • DO NOT smoke in bed as it is one of the main causes of house fires.
  • Get into the habit of closing doors at night. If you need to keep a child’s bedroom door open, close the doors to the lounge and kitchen. This may help to save their life if there is a fire.
  • Don’t overload electrical sockets. Remember one plug for one socket.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of reach to children.
  • Take special care with safety precautions when you are tired or if you’ve been drinking.
  • Don’t leave the TV or other electrical appliances on standby when not in use. Switch off and unplug them when not in use. TV’s left on standby are a major cause of fire in the home.

For further information please visit Gloucestershire Fire & Rescue Service at: