We want to help you live independently in your own home wherever possible. Did you know we can provide minor adaptations to your home as well as information on how to get advice and support from your local authority for major adaptations?

Minor Adaptations

Who can apply for an adaptation?

You can apply if you are one of our customers or a permanent member of the household and you:

  • have a long-term condition
  • are struggling with everyday activities
  • are being made disabled by your environment.

You are welcome to apply regardless of how long you have been a customer.

What we can help you with

We have an annual budget to carry out minor adaptations to properties. Examples of adaptations that we can provide (subject to our budget) are:

  • grab rails
  • lever taps
  • lower light switches
  • raised power points
  • key safes
  • stair rails and external hand rails
  • access steps.

Please contact us if you want to request a minor adaptation to your home (please note the above list is not exhaustive and other adaptations may be considered).

Major Adaptations

If you need major adaptations to your home, your Local Authority can authorise a means-tested Disabled Facilities Grant for work such as stairlifts, level access showers/wet rooms or ramps.

To find out more, call 01452 426868.

Once you have requested a major adaptation, an Occupational Therapist will visit you at home to carry out an assessment of your needs. Any referral from the Occupational Therapist needs to be sent to us initially. We will review it and if we agree for the work to be carried out, we will give the Occupational Therapist permission to contact the Local Authority, to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant on your behalf. Please note there are occasions when we will not give permission for the work to be carried out. If you are living in a house and it no longer suits your needs, we will ask the Occupational Therapist to refer your case to the Local Authority’s Housing Team. They will contact you to discuss a move to more suitable accommodation for your